Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Venice to Rome, Italy…

On our way to Rome, we had quite a few miles to cover.  We also made a stop in the town of Assisi, the city of St. Frances.  Our first pit stop was at an outside market, with free toilets, however, they were Turkish toilets. Turkish toilets require you to squat over a porcelain hole in the ground.  I came out of the bathroom super frustrated as I was waiting in line and pushed aside by everyone in our tour.  I usually can take a lot, but the lack of sleep and frustration with constant tardiness pushed me over the edge.  Rather than dealing with impolite women in the bathroom I decided to not to try out the Turkish toilet and hold it.  Good things come to those who wait I guess, because out guide came over to chat to Paul and I and gave me a tip that the handicap bathroom in the side of the building (hiding) was an American style facility and very clean, BONUS!  It was worth the frustration!

Our second stop on the road was at a small café or snack bar.  Paul and I sat down to finish off a yogurt we bought at the grocery store, orange, and a few packaged snacks.  I went up to order an espresso (only 1 Euro) and almost experienced my breaking point.  I was standing in line and the family decided they deserved to order first so 15 people, muttering, went in front to order elaborate sandwiches, coffees, and the whole gamete of treats, as I sat with my 1 Euro in hand ready to pay for my lone espresso.  I was getting hot and frustrated (haha, just like when my Hawaii ticket was canceled, Laura M knows this all too well).  I finally made my way back to the table with a small espresso and didn’t’ even want to look at it because of it's recent painful memory, hahah.  Other families saw what happened and alerted Paul to my status, by telling him I was too nice to let others go in front of me.  They also gave me an “I’m sorry” grin.  It was classic and summed up the morning’s earlier encounter perfectly.  I can laugh about it now…  I am taking it as good practice for being at the bottom of the medical totem pole next year.

Looking down to where we came from on the coach...

Walking up and into the city on the hill...

Our stop in Assisi was next, it was a beautiful stone based city on the hill.  The basilica of St. Frances was expansive and had three levels of sites.  St. Frances’ tomb was below the worship space, and the upper level had a beautiful courtyard and paintings.  Pictures weren’t allowed inside, but it was really something to see.  The churches in Italy are buzzing right now with religious travelers due to the Easter season and the days leading up to it. 

Streets of Assisi, wandering for pizza and coffee...

We took the rest of the time in town to walk around the stone streets.  Paul bought a slice of pizza and I bought a small coffee.  We then made it a mission to find a nice scarf.  They were scattered throughout the shops and vendors, but we of course were looking for the most reasonable.  We left the city gates and were about to board the coach before finding “the scarf”.  It is a 5 Euro cotton, knock off of a Burberry scarf.  I absolutely love it, and I’m wearing it right now… thanks Paul!

Saint Frances

After Assisi we were on our way to Rome to check into the hotel that we would be staying in for two nights, Saturday and Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment