Friday, November 11, 2011

Get the pointe?

Recently, I have been feeling that life has been overwhelmed by school work and memorization, so I've been fighting to have a balance.  You all know that I've been cooking a lot more, but just recently I wanted to expand my horizons and get back into some of my old habits.... DANCE!   I danced for a long time on my parent's paycheck at a studio in Green Bay (shout out to Shirley Van's!).  After going to college, I was impressed by the level of the students who were pursuing a dance major, so I shyed away because I was overwhelmed, and it never seemed to fit in my pre-med schedule.  Oh yeah, I also couldn't afford taking private lessons, because I was a college kid.

Recently, I took an adult ballet class in the Strip District at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre and absolutely loved it!  I went down there for the second time this past Thursday night and bought a bunch of classes in bulk to get a discount.  It has been weird putting on my tights and shoes from when I was 18, because it seems like yesterday.  Although, I noticed in my first class that I had blown holes in the front of all my ballet shoes, so I had to buy new ones right away...
Two new ballet shoes next to my old loves...

I think that Anna and I are going to go to the Nutcracker sometime during the Holiday season.  It's a tradition to see the Nutcracker, and I have a feeling that this show will be MUCH better than Anna's last experience watching "The Nutcracker on Horseback"... Picture that for me for a second.

In addition to ballet, I recently got in touch with the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) and the local Pittsburgh chapter.  I am hoping to get involved in mentoring youth with IBD, which is one of my absolute favorite things to do!  This includes hanging out with all the kids during the CCFA walk next summer, and also potentially going to camp and serving as a mentor!  I hope I am able to attend at least one camp this summer, whether it is Onaway or CCFA, we'll see!

Last thing before I stop rambling... today I had a wonderful meeting with a potential research mentor and will hopefully be taking on an IBD related project next summer.  I came home from work to an empty apartment, but was soon surprised with gifts from Paul!

Flowers and cheese!

The flowers looked a wee bit thirsty, and perhaps a little on the tired side... So, I had to ask paul, "So what was the deal on flowers today?.."  "Ohh... they were half off, $2.50 baby!"

Let's just say, I knew it.  Hahah, but it's the thought that counts and now I have some thoughtful flowers to show for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment