Saturday, February 26, 2011

Arlington & Georgetown...

I'm on the bus to NYC now, but I thought I would talk about our adventures yesterday...  We took our time in the morning getting ready while it sprinkled outside.  Once we got outside though, it was really warm and nice for our thick Wisconsin blood...  On the way to DuPont Circle we passed the director of Penn State's MD/PhD program which was a crazy coincidence!   I recognized him, then I finally put my finger on it.  We took the metro to Arlington first and was able to see Kennedy's grave and also the changing of the guards.  I could watch the tomb of the unknown solider for hours... it's just so full of honor and respect that it's practically breathtaking.  I was able to capture some good video of the ceremony, so hopefully that turns out nicely.

Tomb of the Unknown amphitheater.

Roomies... running for president...

Arlington National Cemetery...

Kennedy's grave and memorial...

The old amphitheater...

After Arlington, we took the metro back into DC and walked down to Georgetown.  We took M the whole way down to try to go get some cupcakes.  I was starving so we sat down and had some Chipotle, can't go wrong with rice, beans, veggies, and guacamole.  It was so filling and delish.  We were then going to get Cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcakes, but turns out it's not the little store I remember anymore.  Launching their show on TLC has really upped the tourist attraction of the cupcakes.  The line was halfway down the road!  It was insane, so Lyssa and I turned around and just did some window shopping and strolling in Georgetown. We went up Wisconsin and did some shopping at Abercrombie to get some matching pants, haha, classic.  We were then going to walk up to the National Cathedral, but our feet were starting to get sore and it would be cutting it pretty close to when they close at 5:30.  We decided to take M back to South DuPont Circle and see the sites around there instead.  It was a good choice.  We passed some really fancy hotels (Ritz, Westin, etc) and saw a lot of cute shops and restaurants.  We headed back to the hotel to rest our feet which put on over 7 walking miles yesterday.  We finished the night with some Blue Moon while watching the movie "Diary of an Angry Black Woman".  It was our last night in the Marriot and in DC.

This morning we shot up and got ready while trying to fit all of our treats and purchases into the two travel sized suitcases we brought. We then checked out after printing our comedy club coupons and walked down to southern DuPont Circle to grab a bagel at Panera bread for lunch on the Bolt Bus.  We took the Red Line downtown one last time and stopped at a Starbuck for my favorite "Venti Skinny Vanilla".  We strolled over to the bus stop and now we're 1.5 hours away from NYC.  I am very excited to get to the hotel and relax for a wee bit.  Traveling is exhausting and I cannot nap on the bus in fear that I will drool on the person next to me, hehehah.  I'm so excited for the comedy club tonight, I hope it's a good show.  I also hope that they have a few reservations left, because we haven't booked them yet for tonight... We could always good on a week night...

No comments:

Post a Comment