Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lake Eva weekend, a success!

It’s another week closer to the big day.  This past weekend Paul and I went up north to spend some time with my parents up at Lake Eva.  It was such a good time snowmobiling and hanging out with Curty, Deb, and Uncle Buck.  We got up there late Friday night and left directly from the hospital after Paul’s neuro lecture.  We stopped by the Mosquito for a brewski or two and to see George before heading into base camp.  Once we landed, it was quite chilly in the cabin so we stoked the fire and got Paul’s bed in the basement all set up so he could sleep in (compared to the Marsh’s).  Paul was absolutely drained by this time because it was reaching the 22 hour of being awake mark, haha. 

Camp shot, apple pie! It's tradition...

The jolly Marsh's at the Skeeto!


Saturday morning we all woke up much too early and George came over to look at flight options for Mexico.  I was blowing Curty away on my Crackberry trying to look for flight deals.  He was impressed with technology and my frequent flier antics.  We found a great deal out of Green Bay, so if they end up going to Mexico, I found a nice flight for them.  Unfortunately for George, the flights out of Houghton are a little pricier considering it’s a ridiculously small airport.  After Paul woke up we did Yoga for a little exercise and had some pumpkin waffles (absolutely my favorite) for breakfast.  I am going to have to look for a homemade pumpkin waffle recipe.   After lunch we suited up for a snowmobile run into Houghton.  Thank goodness I asked Joel to swing by and pick up a pair of Brent’s boots for Paul.  He’s the only person with Paul size feet, haha.  Otherwise those running shoes may have been a little cold.  Overall, Paul really looked the part with his Carhart and camouflage boots!  We were granted Dad’s sled with a two-up seat for me to hang on.  Paul was a pretty decent driver, haha.  The trails were really nice, but in some parts they were really icy.  There’s a double hill on the way into Houghton that both Paul and I got stuck on, classic city slickers.  Dad and Uncle Buck had to take our sleds down to the bottom while I did the walk of shame up the hill and Paul rode behind Joel on the way up the slippery slope.  We went to the KBC in downtown Houghton for some home brew and peanuts, and then headed back home to the Mosquito!

Traveling into the cabin in the wee morning hours...

Paul the human pack mule... always trying to get it in one trip.


The Mosquito was a blast.  We grabbed a drink and went to a back table with Mom, Dad, George, Kay, and Joel.  We chatted with the owners who informed us that there were 2 retired Vikings in the bar.  One was a dead giveaway, he was a huge dude, clocking in around 365 when he was actively playing.  David Dixon was his name and he started quite a few games, we looked him up on the crackberry.  The other guy’s name I didn’t catch but I think he admitted that he was a benchwarmer!  Paul bought the table some deep fried bar food covering the essentials of French fries, onion rings, and mozzarella sticks.  Over the bar food, mumsy, Paul, and I covered the basics of retirement planning and ROTH IRAs, ahah, what a dinner conversation for nerds!  After we had our retirement planned, it was time for a heated game of shuffle board… 

The first game, Paul wasted me.  So I think he was looking for another win to really drive the point home.  Not so fast, I won the second game in good fashion with a lot of smack talk.  The third game was when it really got competitive.  It was back and forth and we were neck and neck.  I kept knocking his puck off the board whenever he would put it in a sweet spot.  The last round to win the game was the best.  Paul was pretty much set to win by one or two points, all he needed to do was to toss the puck down without interfering with the board.  Except, he went for mine for some reason, and bumped mine to be a hanger, hanging just slightly farther off the board than his… so… I WON! Booyah.  After that win, George and Kay were rolling with laughter and we headed home to camp.  Dinner was great, mum cooked up some chicken.  We had a glass of wine and everyone was pretty tired from the fresh air, so we were off to bed early.

Sunday consisting of us waking up and turning on the news, to find out that a massive storm was going to be taking over most of Wisconsin.  We decided to leave as soon as possible and were on the road by 8:45 AM.  After a white knuckle drive back to Madison, we made it back around 4PM.  There were a few cars in the ditch, but Little Richie took on the storm by force.  I was probably the slowest one on the road, and Paul shouted for joy once I finally passed someone in Madison, haha.  Paul then headed off to run 10 miles at the Nat.  It was a great weekend; we had a ton of fun snowmobiling.  We also had a lot of driving and car time to talk about the rank list.  I talked with my parents and did a good hard priority check regarding going to school or being with Paul.  We decided to rearrange Paul’s list to give us the best opportunity to be together in the same town.  We’re both hoping we’ll end up in Pittsburgh, but it’s a good possibility that we could end up in Wisconsin.  I guess we’ll see.  There’s no going back now, because the list is officially due tomorrow.  Roach did the same thing; he shifted some more prestigious programs down to better coordinate with his fiancé as well.  It’s not all about school; I think I would be awfully lonely in a town with Paul 12 hours away… not the ideal situation.

On our way out and heading home to take on the storm...

Today I babysat and am getting pack for my Washington DC and NYC adventure.  Yesterday consisted of finding hotels online which was quite a debacle.  I used Priceline to try to find us some deals.  In DC we are in northern DuPont Circle at a Courtyard by Marriot, and in NYC we are on Times Square in the Milford.  Sounds like it will be a great time.  It feels good to have the essentials booked, now we have to figure out when we want to do tours and the statue of liberty.  I’ve been reading about NYC today, and I think that I want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge as well.  It’s going to be SO much fun!  Lyssa and I let free in the Nation’s Capital and the Big Apple!  Beautiful! 

I’ll hopefully update the blog while we are traveling, we have a 3 hour bus ride from DC to NYC, so I think that will be the best time to get some blogging done.  Wish me luck, I have to pack, work, and pick up treats yet today!  Off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment