Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Superbowl & Madison Blizzard!!

The most important update and news in my life is the… wild, crazy BLIZZARD 2011!  We got a ton of snow this past Tuesday night!  Of course the Blizzard was expected to hit as Paul was scheduled to drive down to Chicago and take his USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills.  He ended up going down a night early after much heavy suggesting on my part!  Anyway, it was just Sarah and I in Kendall Ave braving the elements.  I had to work the night of the blizzard for BrightStar for a bedtime shift.  It was a crazy ride coming home from the shift, very blizzard like conditions.  I’m just surprised Little Richie made it through that storm!  I found a spot to park on the road, knowing that I would be digging myself out the next morning. 

Sarah and I watched the storm from inside and waited for her work to be called off!  Luckily I didn’t have to work on Wednesday until 3PM.  We went to sleep and woke up completely freezing!  I had my whole body and head under the blankets, as did Sarah.  It was wicked cold.  After a little investigation work on my part, I realized the heater was working, but blowing cold air.  What do you do when that happens?  Call CURTY!!  We chatted about the weather and figured the intake pipe outside was covered… so I slapped on my boots, grabbed a shovel and went tearing through our yard, snow up to my thighs, trying to find my intake pipe.  Sure enough, the beast was covered in snow and read “DO NOT COVER”.  Makes sense right, otherwise you can sit in the heater fumes and die!  YIKES!  Thank god our furnace worked as it should and it tripped off once the snow blocked the intake pipe.  After that, we spent most of the day shoveling and hanging out while I was thinking about Paul who was taking his clinical skills exam.


After the exam, Paul’s car wouldn’t start.  He was all over the town trying to get help to get his car started. Due to the wind, there was snow in his engine and under his hood, so the whole thing was soaked.  He dried off the spark plugs in his room and tried it again around 10:30PM… finally it started!!  He spent so much time in Chicago because he went down a day early and had to stay an extra night because his car wouldn’t start.  While he was driving back Thursday morning to Madison, I was getting on a plane to head to Pittsburgh!  Thursday I arrived around noon and met up with some current MSTP students for coffee.  After coffee we met with some program leaders and had wine and cheese.  I really enjoy Pittsburgh and their wine, but the cheese was so sick, haha!  I guess we’re spoiled by Wisconsin’s cheese!  After the wine and cheese we went over to a current MSTP student’s home and had dinner, then out for margaritas. 

Friday consisted of a lot of meetings with program staff including the chief of medicine.  He is so nice and asked how Paul was doing.  I was impressed he remembered Paul’s name and he application status.  I let him know that he’ll be ranking Pittsburgh number one, and he was happy to hear that news.  I am so anxious for match day.  After Friday’s long day meeting with different investigators, we went out for a dinner at Elbow Room and had some drinks over dinner.  Josiah and I sat next to each other and had a good time chatting and getting to know one another.  After dinner we went out to a bar with a couple other PhD applicants, and Josiah and I hit it off and decided the night wasn’t done yet.  So we went out to another place with two other applicants.  Then we met a current student out who brought us to other bars on South Side.  It was a classic night, I was dancing as usual and by the end of the night I was making the usual comments and calling Josiah my big brother haha.  It was a really fun night, and was going to make the tour that started the next morning nice and long.  Saturday we had a tour all day, and then a faculty dinner.  I was spending time with Alex, another MSTP student who was completely cracking me up.  After the dinner, Josiah and I were going to meet up for one drink to say goodbye.  Then we ended up staying out far too late, haha, and I had 2.5 hours to sleep before my shuttle came.  Of course I woke up from the phone call for my shuttle.  I was completely frazzled and had to pack in 5 minutes.   I packed, changed my clothes and was ready to go in 5 minutes, it was a ridiculous turn around.  I felt awful though, and the day in the airports was terrible. I didn’t sleep much, and I got a cold from some lady on the plane to Chicago.   After that plane ride I started to feel under the weather which escalated until the Super Bowl… I was running a nice fever, but tried to keep it under control. 

Let’s rewind, because I forgot how adorable Paul is.  When I got off the plane in Madison, Paul was waiting to pick me up in the Jetta.  He worked on surgery that morning, but went home to make me some pumpkin spice coffee (with creamer) and a pumpkin scone from Starbucks.  I was so overwhelmed, and tired, that I almost was crying because of how thoughtful it was for him to bring me those treats.  I went to his place, showered, and tried to nap.  Then we got ready, Paul went to make some guacamole, and headed to Mike’s parent’s house.  It was so nice that they invited us over for a little Packer party.  We had a wonderful time watching the game with Mike and Ashley and we were on the edge of our seats for the game.  Luckily of course, the PACKERS WON THE SUPERBOWL!!  It was so crazy!  We were jumping up and down and celebrating!  Paul lifted me into the air, haha!  It was so wild!  It’s too bad I was feeling so crummy, but we had a great time.  I was so sick that night and needed to get home asap.  Monday I called into work because I didn’t want to get my client sick, my fever was relentless and kept going up all day.  I took the whole day to rest, and didn’t do much at all.

Today, I’m babysitting and feeling better.  I am going to meet Laura J for some treats at La Brioche for her birthday, so I’m going to have to pick up a card on my way home.  I’m going to rest a lot tonight and hopefully kick this cold for good.  Last night I used a trick I heard of, which was to get rid of a cough, put Vicks Vapor rub on your feet instead of your chest.  I hate how Vicks feels on your chest, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the foot trick worked!! I woke up and my cough was almost completely gone.  I cough every once and while now, but nothing like yesterday.  I am pretty certain I have the flu, and Paul was of course reminding me that I should have got my flu shot, haha.  What a character.

No comments:

Post a Comment