Sunday, December 16, 2012

Guest Speaker

After my recent return to Pittsburgh, Lyssa and I were chatting on the phone about the possibility of me coming to see her school and her class.  For some reason, it worked out just perfectly because I was flying into Wisconsin on Tuesday afternoon and if I hurried on home, I could make it to her classroom in the early afternoon.  AWESOME!  After my GI exam, I was scrambling around to try to get stuff done in time to have dinner and leave bright and early Tuesday morning.  The 3:30AM alarm came too quickly and soon I was in the car on the way to the airport slugging coffee like it was my job.  
A photo I used in my presentation, my big brother inspires me.

Toothbrush on endoscopy to freak out the kids!
I made most of my presentation on the plane on the way to MKE and was rummaging around Google for some gross medical facts and weird X-rays for the kids.  Haha, I was cracking up with all the random stuff I found and even managed to download a video of an endoscope where they removed a mouth moistening sponge from a patient’s stomach.   I was kind of nervous about the presentation, so wore my short little white coat and brought each kid a pen shaped like a syringe full of liquid and some stethoscopes to play with.  The talk went pretty well and I was able to witness the energy of a classroom full of 7th graders in action.  Wheww!!  It gets even wilder once you gross them out a bit!  It was really quite impressive to see Lyssa in action as “Ms. P”!

All in all, my immense respect for teachers was confirmed!  I only worked with the kids for two hours and I was ready to go to sleep I was so worn out!  Haha!  After school was done, Lyssa and I celebrated the success at school with a double date with our mothers at Applebee’s.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment