Thursday, March 14, 2013

Houghton Snowmobiling

The Houghton/Hancock Airport!
I tend to book my next vacation, while I'm on the previous one, and this situation was no different.  I saw an open weekend and decided to book a flight up to Houghton for snowmobiling.  It is a repeat of what I did last year during this fortunate holiday!  It falls on some of the best snowmobiling of the year!


Curty leading us out on the trails of the northwoods!

Lyssa, Me, and Mum


Trying to capture a photo of the frozen waterfalls...

You can't fall if you're already down sliding right?

 
After a long day traveling, we finally made it to the mosquito and to Lake Eva.  Lyssa had the joy of riding up with my parents and partaking in all of the Marsh pit stops (the Shell gas station for subs, Joel's cabin for a snowmobile, etc).  With her updates, I felt like I was there!  They picked me up at the airport and we stopped at the Skeeto to "jibber jabber" with a local or two for the snow report.

You have to snowmobile into the cabin this time of year!
 

Our neighbor trying to keep ahead of the white stuff so we can drive out!
On Saturday we woke up early and went around the Frieda loop, and even Lyssa got to try her hand at driving the sleds.  We took a few pit stops at different scenic overlooks and finally met up with our neighbors at the KBC.  It was the perfect day for sledding. It was snowing most of the day and then really started coming down in the evening - so much so that it was hard to see where you were driving!  Whiteouts are my favorite...  Lake effect snow is so unpredictable, but soo pretty, it's hard to even put into words.

Blinded by the snowflakes!
Sunday, we took our time getting ready and already had to make the trip back home.  The weekends always go by too fast up north - and the lengthy commute doesn't make the quality time up north any longer.  We spent quite a few hours traveling to find the fresh snow....  WORTH IT.

I kind of like this annual trip - hopefully next time I can convince Paul to come back with me!


Curty bringing back the sled, then walking the rest of the way out of camp...
My last snowmobile run of 2012-2013 season I believe... It was sure fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment