Saturday, March 2, 2013

Joel's Birthday Celebration

Birthdays at the Marsh House on Isaar!

Again this year, I wanted to celebrate the many wonderful years that Joel had on this earth and the heavenly birthday that we continue to celebrate.  It would have been Joel's Golden Birthday this year.  27 years on February 27th.  This year, Paul took the day off so we could go to dinner for Joel's Birthday.  To put this into perspective, we don't really even go out for Valentines Day, but Joel's Birthday is something that is so dear to my heart.

We again decided to keep to the tradition to go to a wonderful restaurant downtown called Meat and Potatoes.  (Read about Joel's Birthday last year)   I can't help buy smile just by reading the name of the place - makes me think of Joel.  I ordered another great dish, and found a new drink on the menu, called... the "Brandy Buck".  So I had to indulge.

Joel and I ready to take on the Wisconsin winter

Another gift I gave to Joel this year was taking the time, two full days, to sit down and write about the moments I spent with Joel in the hospital after flying home to be by his side as he courageously fought for the opportunity to bring life to others. I feel good knowing that those precious details will be with me forever.

Those we love don't go away, 
They walk beside us everyday
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed, and very dear.

Joel's Birthday reminds me of old times when Joel had his trach - he was never very good at blowing out candles because all the air would fly out each sides of his trach nose and not towards the cake.  Some times I would pitch in a help blow out a few so he wouldn't have so many "girlfriends" left.  Man, those are some beautiful memories.   I'll help you with the candles down here  Buck - just keep laughing, having fun, and keep Jerry out of trouble. 

We love you and miss you Joel.
Happy Birthday Bud


When I went to visit Joel in Houghton during his last semester at MTU.

You can read more about things we are doing in memory of Joel at his blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment