Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Washington DC, Day 1

Arlington National Cemetery
Beautiful wreaths. 

This year was a little different in that due to our wedding Paul had just a few remaining days of vacation, and we figured out that Christmas unfortunately would not be one of those days.  Paul had to work over the holidays, but luckily my parents were able to drive out and join us for Christmas.  It was going to be the start of a different tradition and a change of pace.  Of course, we spent a few of the days on the road traveling to Washington DC, because a Marsh vacation is not time to rest!

John F Kennedy's eternal flame

My parent's drove to Pittsburgh, then we took a quick rest before jumping in the car to check out the sights in Washington DC!  My mom hasn't been there in quite a few years and I knew that my Dad was going to love the memorials and the various tributes scattered throughout our Nation's capital.  I found a great hotel outside the city close to Arlington National Cemetery and right next to the metro. When we checked into the hotel, we were given the wrong room number and I kicked on the room number, and for some reason my key didnt work.  So I went down to the front desk to get it fixed, they re-programmed the key... and sure enough it worked, and I confidently let myself into someone else's room!!! WHAT!? Thank goodness they weren't up to something! My mom, dad and I sure got a good laugh out of that one!

The first day we took the metro to the Arlington Cemetery. My parents and I were going to be taking the metro to get around just like the good old days. They were about to experience what it's like to be at the whim of public transportation.  Welcome to my life for the last 6 years. 

The tomb of the unknown solider.

The Cemetery of course was beautiful. One of my absolute favorite places in all of Washington DC.  It is just so astounding that such a place exists and the respect and beauty of the grounds are breathtaking. We walked through the various tombs up to the Tomb of the unknown solider to watch the changing of the guards.  I'm so glad that we made it in time to see this chilling ceremony. It was quite an honor to be a part of it.  

Changing of the guards ceremony.

The last two times I saw it, I was with Joel when he visited me in Washington DC and then Lyssa and I went back for a quick visit before I headed off to Pittsburgh.  This is an absolute must on any of my visits to the Nation's capital.  It's so powerful. I'm so thankful of our military and their families. What an amazing sacrifice and service to our country. 



After the cemetery, we took the metro into town to catch a glimpse of the White House at night as well as a bite to eat.  It was a great first day to our quick visit!



The White House glowing at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment