Friday, May 16, 2014

Washington DC, Day 2

Mom by the Federal Reserve!
Tourist Curty.
During our second day in DC, we again took the metro downtown to go to some of the War Memorials and the various sites of the city.  It was going to be a long day of walking, and we were just hoping that the rain would hold off.  Luckily a little moisture makes the pictures look that much better.  We got in our daily Starbuck and walked all over town.  


Vietnam Memorial




Lincoln Memorial

Our first stop that we saw along the way was the Federal Reserve, so naturally we had to get a picture with mom next to the building! My dad was pretty much dressed like a classic tourist. He had a backpack full of our lunches and drinks so we could spare a few pennies on our vacation.  We were laughing because I suddenly turned into the vacation planner and was taking my parents all around town - and I even packed them a lunch!  A little scary!




Our second stop was the Vietnam Memorial showcasing all of the names on the black wall.  This memorial still chills me, and the design is absolutely fantastic. They way they have it so everyone can see their own reflection in the stone is one of it's finest and most humbling qualities. It was sure beautiful. I also love how all of the memorials seem to line up with the Washington monument, the reflection pool and then the lincoln memorial.  They all play off one another in terms of space and views. It's amazing to think of those who worked to plan and design the tributes. 

Korean War Memorial



We walked to the Lincoln Memorial and then back to the Korean War Memorial, WWII, and then finally decided that our soaked feet had had enough of the weather.  My toes were absolute prunes, so it was about time to call it a day and make our way back to Pittsburgh.  





Each star represents 100 Americans who died or remain missing in WWII. 



I'm so happy that we were able to fit in this quick little trip to DC.  I sometimes forget just how close it is!  So, for anyone who would like to visit us, I now know of the perfect little hotel on the outskirts of the city for us to stay in!  


My home.

No comments:

Post a Comment