Saturday, August 13, 2011

From Wisconsin to White Coat

After my trip back from Wisconsin, I went back to lab to finish up projects in what seemed like a summer that had went too fast!  That week we had our first MSTP student workshop and the first years had to stand up and introduce ourselves.  It was sufficiently awkward, but the evening went by quickly and soon we were on our way home with full stomachs, and our table had candy from winning the trivia game.

The following day I was able to stay after work and shadow in pediatric surgery.  It was a lot different from trauma, that's for sure.  Little kids having troubles is much different experience and made me appreciate those that choose pediatric surgery as their profession.  I was able to observe consults and removal of the appendix in two separate instances.  The attending even taught me how to scrub in, which was a new and exciting experience.  I was also able to see/do a stitch.  Let's just say that I'm not a natural. Hahah.  One of the anesthesia residents were on the case so he was smiling at me and trying to give me helpful advice, because Paul and I had met him earlier at the department picnic.

The following week was work in lab, and I found a family health practice, which means I have a doctor, mission accomplished!   The next weekend I met with Emily to chat about the CTS program and we were able to catch up over tea at 61C. 

Before I knew it, it was the following week and Paul called me informing me my car wouldn't start.  Awesome, haha.  We called AAA and got things taken care of before I had to go to class.  It held up until my parents were on their way to Pittsburgh!  Luckily it broke down again, and I took it to a Hyundai shop out of town for repair.  I investigated and found out that the battery was still under warranty!  The warranty was going to expire in FOUR DAYS!  It was luck that I was able to slide in and get a free repair!  The bill was $0! Excellent! 

I jumped in Little Richie (with a fresh new battery) and picked up Curty and Deb from the Pittsburgh airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment