Monday, August 29, 2011

Deep into the Abdomen...

Well, as you may assume, I'm talking anatomy.  This class consumes my live in many fashions:

  1. I prepare before class and read the recommended material. - Anyone who saw me in undergrad knows that I was a total chaotic mess and printed lecture notes only to scribble and frantically try to keep up with lecture... not in anatomy.  If I don't pre-read the lecture notes, it feels like I waltzed into a 500 level foreign language class, which is terrifying.
  2. I study during the week.  - I thought weeknights were reserved for nerdy Biochemistry club, chatting with roomies, babysitting, and nursing shifts... reality check. Not anymore.
  3. Portable studying is essential.  - I don't leave without my flashcards, but the next step is remembering to pull them out of my enormous backpack.
  4. Referring to things in latin terms/medical nonsense.  - Man, this strapless bra is really digging into my intercostal muscles and anterior serratus.... woof.  Err, I mean, ouch?
  5. Finding all excuses to revert to normal life.  -  Paul and I sit down for dinner quite often now that anatomy is in full swing, mainly because I want to cook delish food rather than slave away to my atlas of human anatomy, and my new love affair, Dr. Netter.  I try to make myself feel better by putting the recorded lectures on while I'm cooking away, but we all know that pressing garlic takes my full attention, and osmosis of information never worked for anatomy.

Frank H. Netter, MD (1906-1991) - Doctor & Artist


It truly is a right of passage as they say, and I really do hope they continue to make it one of the first courses you have the pleasure of taking as a medical student.  We medical students tend to be a little nuts and have had experiences in the past that make us feel smart or knowledgeable.  I think the humbling of anatomy is the best orientation week/month medical school can provide...  I enjoy being brought to my knees every once and while...  heck, it feels like I'm back in Physical Chemistry all over again!

Although I will never conquer entropy, perhaps I can scratch on the surface of this right of passage called Medical Anatomy.  Now, back to my hot date with Dr. Netter.

No comments:

Post a Comment