Sunday, August 14, 2011

White Coat Ceremony

That brings us to the opening ceremony of Medical School!  My parents flew in Thursday night, and I was able to hang out on Friday and spend some time with my parents touring Pittsburgh!  I got up early for a run and we went to Mt. Washington and Frick Park!  We had a picnic lunch and toured the Frick Park free car museum which was pretty impressive!  We then left the park and went to D's 6 Pax and Dogz in Regent Square on recommendation of my lab. 

Mt. Washington by the Incline

Curty special in Frick Park
 After our return home we decided to hit up Mad Mex for their happy hour!  Mum and I indulged and we chatted about life, politics, and all the fun topics you can chat about during a happy hour!  It was a bunch of fun, and a great evening out!  The next morning I got up early and took Paul to work so we could steal the car.  Our project for the day was to get a battery for Paul's moped, then we went to the Strip District so my parents could see the madness that is the Strip District.  We were going to stick around for lunch but instead we went to the Church BREW!  Curty loved it, and it smelt like Slab City Brewery!  I'm sure it gave him the brew brewing itch, but he'll have to find a bankrupt church in Wisconsin to pick up first to really do it right!

Market District! Cheese, yes please!

Primanti Brother's!  Pittsburgh must! But, the line was too long...

Amen, the Church Brew!


After our adventure in the Strip District I was able to show mum and pops where I worked over the summer.  We made dinner and had a good Saturday afternoon!

Sunday was the big day, White Coat Ceremony.  We ran down to the Strip District after I got my hair cut, and Paul was starting to work nights that evening, so he had the day off to sleep and get ready for night shift!  I was planning to show up to the ceremony at 3, but turns out that we were mistaken and I should have been there at 1:00PM.  I split the difference and showed up fashionable late a little after 2PM.  I found out that they had people show up early to socialize with one another, so I didn't miss a thing! 

We're only and hour late, Curty isn't used to wearing ties...haha.  I'll take it from here.

The Medical School Entrance = My new home.


We were handed our white coat, filed into a different room to take our picture, of which I was frazzled, and then went into the lecture hall where the ceremony was held.  It was a nice ceremony with good speeches, even the doctor that sewed up Josiah's hand!  HAhah.  After the ceremony we went across to the Peterson Events Center and had snacks.  We went home shortly after so Paul could take a quick nap before the night shift.  Mom and Dad and I walked down to Walnut Street to grab dinner at a new restaurant in a new area.  It was a nice walk and great dinner!

Coating! I'm in the middle!

Mom, Me and Dad (sporting Paul's tie)

Me and Dr. Duerr, Director of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center!

Pittsburgh Medical Scientist Training Program students!


It was so nice to have mom and dad out here for my big day.  Now I have a short white coat, and Paul's coat is long and authoritative.  Another step in our career adventures together!  It's only the beginning of the craziness to come in the near future!

Great photo after the ceremony... Thanks for your support!

Our White Coat photo...


No comments:

Post a Comment