Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pug Adventures

Look at those eyes - they'll stare into your soul.
This all started when I accidentally saw one of Paul's emails asking for someone to dog sit.  I clicked it out of curiosity only to find the most adorable photo of a small pug attached to it.  I immediately asked Paul to see if we could volunteer to pug sit.


Many of you who know me must think I'm out of my mind because I'm not the biggest animal lover, and I'm not really a fan of house pets in general, but the adorable picture caught my attention, and sure enough, a pug by the name of Gus was delivered to our house for us to watch for a few days.  I liked to call him "Pug" or "Gus Chiggins" in tribute to one of Will Ferrel's greatest skits as Old Prospector.

It was perfect timing because I didn't have to go to school that much that week and I was cramming for Cardio with my new pug companion.


Adventure #1 - Locked out with Pug
One morning before PBL, I thought it would be nice of me to take Gus out for a quick piddle before I caught the bus.  After a nice pee, I look behind me only to realize that I locked myself out of my apartment entirely.  Yep, I had nothing: no phone, no money, no identification, nothing, just the pug.  I looked down at Gus/Pug only to find that I had two options: (1) Run to see if Anna or Josiah were still home (2) Run with the pug to school.  I starting running as fast as the pug would let me (short legs and hardly able to breath, you understand) only to be stopped by his strength while he was poop-running... it was a mess.  Lucky for my neighbors the only thing I had in my possession was a plastic bag to clean up his do-do.

I arrived at Annas with the pug and Pug and I were both out of breath.  Anna was kind enough to spot me $20 and let me use Josiah's car to get up to school.  I had to leave the pug at her house for an hour or so and I made it to PBL with five minutes to spare. She seriously saved my life (and my cardio grade).

"Ohh, we're locked out? Mmmmm, sucks to be you"

Adventure #2 - Pug and I Survive Bat Attack
Our next adventure occurred the next evening as I went down to take Pug out for his nightly pee.  When going through our entry way, a black object came swooping at my head and I was screaming in the midst of a bat attack.  Pug didn't seem to mind, he just looked at me with those carefree eyes.

I rang the doorbell to try to get Paul's attention who also ended up getting attacked by the bat (sorry Paul).  Paul was yelling from out of our second story window "Don't let it touch you!! The Rabies vaccine is almost $2000 - so EXPENSIVE!"  Good point Paul.  We decided that the only way was to carry Pug up the fire escape and avoid the entry way all together - what a fiasco!  The next morning I heard the loud wack of the broom, a maintenance man saved the day.  Darn BAT!

"Bat attacks aren't so bad, I'm going to bed"

Strangely enough, I enjoyed the time with Pug/Gus.  He brought a lot of interesting personality to the apartment and his snoring made me crack up!   His breath and shedding need a little work - but I loved having the company!   The adventures?... ahh I could probably do without.

Well, until next time Gus Chiggins!

No comments:

Post a Comment